Hayward Field at a Glance
Trivia: Hayward Field has been featured as itself in multiple films: It was the Olympic Trials host in Personal Best (1982), heavily featured in Without Limits (1998), and the ROTC training ground in National Lampoon's Animal House (1978).
ABOUT HAYWARD FIELD
At the heart of Eugene’s successful bids for the 2008, 2012 and 2016 Olympic Track and Field Team Trials.
In 2016, TrackTown USA welcomes the NCAA Outdoor Championships for the 14th time since 1962…while seven U.S. Championships have graced the storied venue, including recent events in 1999, 2001, 2009, 2011 and 2015.
The centerpiece of 'Track Town, USA', Hayward Field attracts athletes, coaches and fans from thousands of miles away because of its renowned crowds well-versed in the sport and ready to roar in approval. Hayward Field's historic, covered grandstands are equally beloved, and comparable to many famous European venues. The 'Carnegie Hall' for American track and field plays host annually to the nation's finest single-day track and field contest, the Prefontaine Classic, which features the top mix of national and international talent on American soil each year.
The University of Oregon's fabled track and field-only facility is named for the first of several legendary coaches, Bill Hayward, who guided the University of Oregon's men's team from 1904-1947.
Hayward Field was initially constructed for football in 1919. Two years later, a six-lane cinder track was installed and a full schedule of track events were transferred from Kincaid Field on the opposite edge of campus. The facility was utilized for both sports until the opening of Autzen Stadium in 1967.
The stadium (current capacity: 10,500) has undergone significant improvements in modern history, including a new track surface, permanent lights, a video board and newly configured infield.
Other Track & Field Facilities / Resources
The Pacific Northwest’s first indoor all-sport training facility, the Ed Moshofsky Center, is available to UO student-athletes for year-round, all-weather conditioning. Runners, jumpers and throwers can train in the climate-controlled, spacious environment on both Mondo sprint lanes and soft surfaces.
Off the track, UO’s nationally-renowned strength and conditioning program offers student-athletes a one-of-a-kind combination of coaches, facilities and event-specific training programs.
The team enjoyed a dramatic expansion of the athletic department's treament facilities in 2007. The updated Casanova Center space offers a combined 12,000 square feet of treatment and rehabilitative space, including state-of-the-art hydrotherapy amenities such as three Hydroworx underwater treadmills and three oversized hot and cold plunge pools. The space includes comprehensive physician services, a digital X-ray center and a fully equipped treatment area with top-of-the-line therapeutic equipment and cardio stations to aid in efficient and prompt recovery. Student-athletes can utilize an amazing new nutrition resource center for consultation and pre/post workout snacks.
The Genesis of Oregon Track & Field
The birth of track and field on the UO campus dates back to 1895. The student body (then numbering 353) built a quarter-mile dirt track at Kincaid Field, now the site of 13th Avenue and Kincaid Street, to practice for their annual field day, held in conjunction with commencement exercises. In 1900, the Ducks started competing in dual meets against regional universities and opponents and sported a 13-3 record in their first nine years – including an undefeated stretch from 1906-09. The first upgrade to the Kincaid track came in 1904 when it was covered partially to facilitate inclement-weather practice and competition. By 1912 the sport had started to outgrow the facility, and the university started to explore other possibilities.
The Origin of Hayward Field
Although collegiate sports went on hiatus temporarily in 1917 because of the first World War, a full schedule of meets returned in 1919 – the same year Hayward Field was built for football. Two years later, a six-lane cinder track bordering the football playing field was installed for $10,000, including a 220-yard straightway on the east end of the track. Bleachers were transferred from Kincaid Field, and in 1925, the wooden east grandstand was added. In 1928, the students paid to cover the bleachers on the north end that remained until 1950.
The Transition to Track-Only
With the construction of Autzen Stadium for football in 1967, Hayward Field became a track-only venue. One of the stadium's most famous former features was its south end bleachers that obscured nearly a quarter of the track. Oregon runners and eventual Olympians Otis Davis and Wade Bell were famed for trailing the field as they disappeared behind the bleachers, only to emerge into daylight with a commanding lead. The cinder track lasted until 1970 when the facility received its first all-weather surface. Five years later, the west grandstands were completely rebuilt to their current layout.
The University of Oregon continues to update the classic facility.
In 2007, distance running fans celebrated a new permanent lighting system that was unveiled for the Oregon Invitational distance carnival. The grand venue can now easily accommodate the most televised hours of Olympic Trials coverage ever, thanks to eight, 110-foot light poles and additional lighting system fixed to the top of west and east grandstands.
A complete facelift of the indoor practice area under the west grandstands was finished in the spring of 2006, and included a new urethane-coated competition surface, jump runways and pits, and several throwing rings. A pair of state-of-the-art underwater and anti-gravity treadmills were installed to enhance Oregon's national-class athletic treatment facilities
Powell Plaza – unveiled in 2005 to welcome fans into the fabled facility – details UO's rich track and field heritage and is named after the family of Lloyd Powell, a track teammate of former coach and athlete Bill Dellinger. That same year, the facility welcomed a new four-lane, fully-lit 400-meter all-weather track that encircles six new tennis courts on the southwest edge of the track.
Situated on the northwest corner of the facility, the $2 million Bowerman Building was completed in 1992 and dedicated to Bill Bowerman and his family who donated funds necessary to construct the all-purpose building. The two-story, 15,000-square foot brick building houses the university's hailed International Institute for Sport and Human Performance along with athletic treatment, locker rooms and meeting rooms. Memorabilia and various exhibits commemorate great athletes, teams and moments of the program's history.
One of the biggest renovations to date came prior to the 1988 NCAA Championships with a two-year project to convert the track from a 440-yard dimension to a 400-meter oval with 85-meter straightaways. To accommodate the size changes, the east grandstands were moved back to the east approximately 11 meters (or 35 feet, 9 1/2 inches) – with the structure reconditioned later in the process.
DIRECTIONS TO HAYWARD FIELD
From I-5 North
From I-5 South
Parking is available next to the venue on 18th ave. and University St. with metered restrictions in effect Monday-Saturday, 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM, and some 24-hour restricted spots in posted areas nearby.